CHATTERBOX
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CHATTERBOX

This is the Church of the Venerated Saint Johnny Thunders - Patron Saint of Rock & Roll Guitarists

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia

Go down 
+29
armadefuego
Dirtman
Marchal
8754richard
greasytune
Gil
TeddyB1018
flofleming
the sneak
alan
dostillio
chrisfarmer
ic1960
tigerrobert
thunderchk66
stiv
troll64
orvar66
FasterLouder
blackjuju
rottenburgh
sir doug
MackSpades
pipeline
corbridge_owl92
AntonioDaSilva
Scott231
MJG196
Razorback
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
stiv

stiv

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-07-02

Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty24th May 2014, 7:32 pm

I'm excited to see this tonight in LA. The first showing already sold out. For what its worth, Billy said way before this film was even announced, Phyllis was one of many women jerry spent time with and someone who really doesnt have the right to speak on his behalf. She ended up being with him in the end and inherited his belongings.
Back to top Go down
MJG196
MJG196

Number of posts : 2765
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty24th May 2014, 9:12 pm

stiv wrote:
I'm excited to see this tonight in LA. The first showing already sold out. For what its worth, Billy said way before this film was even announced, Phyllis was one of many women jerry spent time with and someone who really doesnt have the right to speak on his behalf. She ended up being with him in the end and inherited his belongings.

For anyone who was wondering, Billy absolutely appears in the movie.

I was kicked out and let back into Phyllis' Jerry Nolan Facebook page several times. lol
Back to top Go down
Razorback
Admin
Razorback

Number of posts : 1880
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty24th May 2014, 9:33 pm

My friends, this forum ain't no tabloïd and is not the place to talk about relationship between Jerry Nolan and Phyllis Stein. Private life is private life.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://chatterbox.canadaboard.net
alan

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty25th May 2014, 9:22 pm

Another review:

“Looking for Johnny” is a new film about Johnny Thunders, directed by Danny Garcia (who also has “The Rise and Fall of the Clash” on his resume). Garcia interviewed various members of the New York punk scene and other musicians that worked with Thunders in this ninety-minute overview of the man’s life. Some of the primary participants in the documentary are Sylvain Sylvain, Marty Thau (who passed away in February of this year), Lenny Kaye, Bob Gruen, and Malcolm McLaren. (Oddly, McLaren participated via a phone interview instead of on film).

Thunders, whose given name was John Anthony Gonzeles, Jr., grew up in Queens with a doting mother, an older sister, and no father. He loved playing baseball as a youngster, but his interests changed after The Beatles hit the scene. He played in high school bands in the late ‘60s and fell into the unit that would become the New York Dolls while still a teenager. His aggressive take on the Chuck Berry/Keith Richards style of guitar riffing would become a major inspiration for ‘70s punk music. In look and demeanor, he was heavily influenced by Keith Richards’ stoned gypsy persona. He developed an unquenchable taste for drugs soon after joining the band. Regarding Thunders’ chronic need to overindulge, Sylvain notes that after the first night that Johnny smoked a joint, the next day he bought a pound of marijuana.

The movie quickly covers Thunders’ childhood and his time with the Dolls. Lenny Kaye and others describe how the Dolls reinvigorated the New York music scene with their highly charged music and shocking stage costumes. It was a chaotic time. While bassist Arthur Kane was often too drunk to perform, Thunders and drummer Jerry Nolan became heroin addicts. After two brilliant but commercially unsuccessful albums, the Dolls were dropped by Mercury Records. Malcolm McLaren then swept in and gave the band a ridiculous Communist party image that thankfully died a quick and merciful death.

Shortly after the Dolls dismembered, Thunders and Nolan formed the Heartbreakers, who couldn’t get a major label deal due to their known drug problems. They recorded one poorly produced album (which included the quintessential punk rock tunes “Born to Lose” and “Chinese Rocks”), but could never get any commercial traction. The band would reform often over the next decade as an easy money gig in the New York area. Nolan and Thunders would alternate between behaving as blood brothers and fighting over band income.

In every clip and interview with Thunders, he seems hopelessly stoned out of his mind. His life and consequently this movie is more of a story about a drug addict than it is a musician. Thunders generated a boyish charm, but he was also a manipulating hustler. In one ugly piece of junkie reality, Bob Gruen relates that Thunders beat up his wife to take her welfare money and then felt victimized when he no longer could contact his children. During the ‘80s, Thunders lived in Europe for extended periods of time and even acted in a few films. By the end of the decade he was a very sick man and he passed away in New Orleans in 1991 at the age of 38.

Like most documentaries, this is a labor of love and director Garcia does a fine job at highlighting the key events in Thunders’ life. However, the limited ability he had for licensing is a shortcoming of the film – most of the music used in the film is clamorous stage footage that doesn’t adequately display Thunders’ skill as a songwriter. The movie would have benefited by participation from David Johansen and Richard Hell (both were contacted but chose not to be interviewed). A glaring oversight is the lack of genuine critical perspective – this is a movie steeped in facts, but almost bereft of any insight into Thunders’ artistic contributions as a guitarist or songwriter. Pardon me for being too cute in my conclusion: Garcia tried to put his arm around a memory, but instead spent too much time digging up Chinese rocks.

Grade – B

http://rocknycliveandrecorded.com/looking-for-johnny-johnny-thunders-documentary-reviewed.html
Back to top Go down
Gil

Gil

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty25th May 2014, 9:48 pm

TeddyB1018 wrote:

Anyway, I haven't yet seen Danny's film on John so it's silly for me to be commenting.  I hope it does him justice.

Teddy, did you end up going last night anyway?
Back to top Go down
MJG196
MJG196

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty25th May 2014, 10:35 pm

All of the incorrect, poorly researched stuff in this review:

• Oddly, McLaren participated via a phone interview instead of on film (He died four years ago)
  • given name was John Anthony Gonzeles, Jr (Genzale)
  • He developed an unquenchable taste for drugs soon after joining the band (That came much later)
  • They recorded one poorly produced album (As it was stated in the movie - and elsewhere - it was PRESSED poorly)
  • The band would reform often over the next decade as an easy money gig in the New York area (and around the world - like the Marquee footage that was in the movie)
  • most of the music used in the film is clamorous stage footage (there is plenty of JUNGLE stuff, particularly Que Sera Sera)

And possibly most importantly...
  • ...bereft of any insight into Thunders’ artistic contributions as a guitarist or songwriter (The title of the movie is "Looking for Johnny" - it is about the PERSON, not the musician/guitarist.  How can any reviewer miss the meaning of a movie title?!)

alan wrote:
Another review:

“Looking for Johnny” is a new film about Johnny Thunders, directed by Danny Garcia (who also has “The Rise and Fall of the Clash” on his resume). Garcia interviewed various members of the New York punk scene and other musicians that worked with Thunders in this ninety-minute overview of the man’s life. Some of the primary participants in the documentary are Sylvain Sylvain, Marty Thau (who passed away in February of this year), Lenny Kaye, Bob Gruen, and Malcolm McLaren. (Oddly, McLaren participated via a phone interview instead of on film).

Thunders, whose given name was John Anthony Gonzeles, Jr., grew up in Queens with a doting mother, an older sister, and no father. He loved playing baseball as a youngster, but his interests changed after The Beatles hit the scene. He played in high school bands in the late ‘60s and fell into the unit that would become the New York Dolls while still a teenager. His aggressive take on the Chuck Berry/Keith Richards style of guitar riffing would become a major inspiration for ‘70s punk music. In look and demeanor, he was heavily influenced by Keith Richards’ stoned gypsy persona. He developed an unquenchable taste for drugs soon after joining the band. Regarding Thunders’ chronic need to overindulge, Sylvain notes that after the first night that Johnny smoked a joint, the next day he bought a pound of marijuana.

The movie quickly covers Thunders’ childhood and his time with the Dolls. Lenny Kaye and others describe how the Dolls reinvigorated the New York music scene with their highly charged music and shocking stage costumes. It was a chaotic time. While bassist Arthur Kane was often too drunk to perform, Thunders and drummer Jerry Nolan became heroin addicts. After two brilliant but commercially unsuccessful albums, the Dolls were dropped by Mercury Records. Malcolm McLaren then swept in and gave the band a ridiculous Communist party image that thankfully died a quick and merciful death.

Shortly after the Dolls dismembered, Thunders and Nolan formed the Heartbreakers, who couldn’t get a major label deal due to their known drug problems. They recorded one poorly produced album (which included the quintessential punk rock tunes “Born to Lose” and “Chinese Rocks”), but could never get any commercial traction. The band would reform often over the next decade as an easy money gig in the New York area. Nolan and Thunders would alternate between behaving as blood brothers and fighting over band income.

In every clip and interview with Thunders, he seems hopelessly stoned out of his mind. His life and consequently this movie is more of a story about a drug addict than it is a musician. Thunders generated a boyish charm, but he was also a manipulating hustler. In one ugly piece of junkie reality, Bob Gruen relates that Thunders beat up his wife to take her welfare money and then felt victimized when he no longer could contact his children. During the ‘80s, Thunders lived in Europe for extended periods of time and even acted in a few films. By the end of the decade he was a very sick man and he passed away in New Orleans in 1991 at the age of 38.

Like most documentaries, this is a labor of love and director Garcia does a fine job at highlighting the key events in Thunders’ life. However, the limited ability he had for licensing is a shortcoming of the film – most of the music used in the film is clamorous stage footage that doesn’t adequately display Thunders’ skill as a songwriter. The movie would have benefited by participation from David Johansen and Richard Hell (both were contacted but chose not to be interviewed). A glaring oversight is the lack of genuine critical perspective – this is a movie steeped in facts, but almost bereft of any insight into Thunders’ artistic contributions as a guitarist or songwriter. Pardon me for being too cute in my conclusion: Garcia tried to put his arm around a memory, but instead spent too much time digging up Chinese rocks.

Grade – B

http://rocknycliveandrecorded.com/looking-for-johnny-johnny-thunders-documentary-reviewed.html
Back to top Go down
stiv

stiv

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty26th May 2014, 4:16 am

I'm glad I went to the film last night. As other posters said, most of the material we have all seen before but a couple of the interviews were cool. I wish more unreleased footage showed up.
Back to top Go down
Gil

Gil

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty6th June 2014, 5:46 am

San Francisco Premiere of LOOKING FOR JOHNNY Q&A @ Roxie Theater, 5/27/14

Back to top Go down
Scott231

Scott231

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2007-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty6th June 2014, 8:19 pm

Wow, they actually did put our names on the credits if we contributed funds. I am at 3:38 kewl. Cool 
Back to top Go down
MJG196
MJG196

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty6th June 2014, 8:37 pm

Scott231 wrote:
Wow, they actually did put our names on the credits if we contributed funds.  I am at 3:38 kewl. Cool 

Yeah! I'm at 3:51.

Does this mean we are famous?!
Back to top Go down
pipeline

pipeline

Number of posts : 1168
Registration date : 2007-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty6th June 2014, 9:32 pm

MJG196 wrote:
Scott231 wrote:
Wow, they actually did put our names on the credits if we contributed funds.  I am at 3:38 kewl. Cool 

Yeah! I'm at 3:51.

Does this mean we are famous?!

I couldn't spot mine Sad
Back to top Go down
stiv

stiv

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty7th June 2014, 6:59 pm

Back to top Go down
Gil

Gil

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty9th June 2014, 1:25 am

Gil wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIofCaGfycs

BTW, James Williamson was in attendance.
Back to top Go down
alan

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty9th June 2014, 5:22 pm

Gil wrote:
Gil wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIofCaGfycs

BTW, James Williamson was in attendance.

I wish James would do interview about those "Kill City" era days in L.A,
when he was hangin' out with his buddy Thunders and Dolls.
In a recent interview James said that Johnny and him were friends, so
I'd love to hear James tell his story about the Dolls and about his friendship with JT

I think James or Iggy should have been in the doc..

Last edited by alan on 30th July 2014, 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
greasytune

greasytune

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2007-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty10th June 2014, 7:19 pm

Very Cool. Glad it was finally released. Saw my name at 5:18. Still need to see the film.
Back to top Go down
sir doug

sir doug

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: so   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty13th June 2014, 6:24 am

what do you think of the movie? 
pro and cons?
Back to top Go down
Razorback
Admin
Razorback

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty4th July 2014, 5:44 pm

Update from Danny on FB :

Danny Garcia wrote:
TONIGHT Looking for Johnny in Barcelona!!!

And to everyone who contributed PLEASE BE PATIENT, you will all get your perks sent via Jungle Records when everything is ready. We've had a couple of issues with some photography and parts of the score but we're good to go so it shouldn't be long now. Thanks again to all of you. LAMF!
Back to top Go down
8754richard

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2007-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty24th July 2014, 9:59 am

Razorback wrote:
Update from Danny on FB :

Danny Garcia wrote:
TONIGHT Looking for Johnny in Barcelona!!!

And to everyone who contributed PLEASE BE PATIENT, you will all get your perks sent via Jungle Records when everything is ready. We've had a couple of issues with some photography and parts of the score but we're good to go so it shouldn't be long now. Thanks again to all of you. LAMF!
Hahaha,I also saw my name Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
alan

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty31st July 2014, 10:02 am

MVD Entertainment Grp has posted the re-edited trailer ( they cut out Antonia from the trailer and replaced few photos) on their website, so it seems that yeah..we are finally getting the DVD's.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCHkU1ZXvTU&list=UUijIeSnftzkcnHLXVAHxtjA
Back to top Go down
8754richard

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2007-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty1st August 2014, 10:02 am

alan wrote:
MVD Entertainment Grp has posted the re-edited trailer ( they cut out Antonia from the trailer and replaced few photos) on their website, so it seems that yeah..we are finally getting the DVD's.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCHkU1ZXvTU&list=UUijIeSnftzkcnHLXVAHxtjA
Okay it's about time!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Scott231

Scott231

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2007-03-07

PostSubject: Release details   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty1st August 2014, 3:26 pm

Available to the public 7 October, pre-release sale starts September 2.
http://mvdb2b.com/s/JohnnyThundersLookingForJohnnyTheLegendOfJohnnyThunders/MVD6544D
Back to top Go down
Razorback
Admin
Razorback

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty3rd October 2014, 2:04 pm

Back to top Go down
MJG196
MJG196

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty3rd October 2014, 7:28 pm

Finally!

Hey, did you see this at the end of the announcement?

Limited red 2LP vinyl is due for November 24: FREUDLP116

A double-LP soundtrack album will be released in November, in a numbered, limited edition, exclusively on red vinyl. An official 'Black Friday' Record Store Day release. Cat. no. FREUDLP116.
Back to top Go down
Razorback
Admin
Razorback

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty3rd October 2014, 11:39 pm

Yes, I saw that.... cd release is scheduled for January.

http://mvdb2b.com/s/JohnnyThundersLookingForJohnnyOriginalSoundtrack/FREUDCD116
Back to top Go down
sir doug

sir doug

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty12th October 2014, 10:22 pm

since no one seems to write anything about the movie, it must be said. Looking for johnny is a decent movie, nothing else, no interesting footage, no good interviews and nothing new whatsoever that you can'tread in any rocklexicon. Looking for johnny? he didn't find him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next