CHATTERBOX
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CHATTERBOX

This is the Church of the Venerated Saint Johnny Thunders - Patron Saint of Rock & Roll Guitarists

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia

Go down 
+29
armadefuego
Dirtman
Marchal
8754richard
greasytune
Gil
TeddyB1018
flofleming
the sneak
alan
dostillio
chrisfarmer
ic1960
tigerrobert
thunderchk66
stiv
troll64
orvar66
FasterLouder
blackjuju
rottenburgh
sir doug
MackSpades
pipeline
corbridge_owl92
AntonioDaSilva
Scott231
MJG196
Razorback
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2007-04-18

Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty21st May 2014, 11:00 pm

Gee, sounds like we're getting the old "anyone can be replaced" speech from DJ as the reason the Dolls broke up. I guess it had nothing to do with drugs, lack of sales, losing their business managers, Jerry and JT needing to score. Nope, they were doing great until David opened his imperious mouth. Syl has gone back and forth announcing his complaints since the Dolls appear to have dissolved for the second time. Jerry and Johnny did the right thing the first time -- they did their own thing. If a person you're in a band with has too much clout, and you feel you have to kowtow to stay together, there's two choices. Deal with it or strike out on your own. In a way, Jerry was right. He and Johnny did it their way, for better or worse.
Back to top Go down
ic1960

ic1960

Number of posts : 1531
Registration date : 2007-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty21st May 2014, 11:34 pm

alan wrote:
www.classicrockrevisited.com review:

Johnny Thunders is one of these romantic rock and roll figures who died before he got old. While hardcore looms large in the myth and memory of JT, director Danny Garcia hoped to make a documentary that remembered him more as a person than as a junk-crazed rock star. Garcia has succeeded with flying colors although he is careful not to paint a candy-coated picture of someone who has always lived life on the edge and crossed a lot of people in the process.

Madrid native Garcia spent over a year raising $32K in funds via indiegogo.com assembling interviews with the people who knew Johnny best--as well as rock journalists who followed his career closely. The most prominent commentator is Nina Antonia, author of In Cold Blood (the ultimate JT bio) and she has many interesting points to make about both Johnny’s talents and pitfalls.  Patti Smith axeman and rock historian Lenny Kaye critiques the mystique of JT while former Dolls bandmate Sylvain Sylvain comments on JT being “the world’s best songwriter” as well as what really caused the demise of the New York Dolls, as Syl is the one who drove Thunders and Nolan to the airport in Florida on the day they broke up in 1975.  The late Marty Thau, who managed the Dolls in the early days, talks about how they wound up getting signed to Mercury Records (who really didn’t know how to market them) and Malcolm McLaren, who handled them at the end is featured via a phone interview.  The late Leee Black Childers, who managed The Heartbreakers in the late 70s and went on tour with them when they opened for the Sex Pistols, has the most gossip to air and talks about how the band tried to put 1000 pounds of cocaine on their recording bill for Track Records when making the now legendary 1975 L.A.M.F. album. Photographer Marcia Resnick and former roommate and school days friend Gail Higgins give personal insight into Johnny’s charisma and flair for fashion.

There is plenty of great Dolls and solo career footage here, and there is even a bit of coverage of Johnny’s foray as an actor via the indie films Mona Et Moi and What About Me. It’s inevitable that heroin gets discussed, as it was the root of both The Heartbreakers and Johnny himself to get major label interest. Great insight to the personally uneven but musically brilliant world of The Heartbreakers is given by sticksman Jerry Nolan’s longtime girlfriend Phyllis Stein who is first to point out that the band’s druggy image made things harder for them to make it in the US than it should have been. Johnny’s close friends like actor/musician Luigi Sciorra and photographer Bob Gruen give incredible insights to the everyday JT, particularly at the end of his life circa 1991—how he was trying to clean up via methadone treatment and hoping to start a new band made up of New Orleans musicians.  (He died under mysterious circumstances at the St. Peter’s Guest House in the French Quarter on April 23, 1991, and today friends and family still do not know whether he was “dosed,” died of the leukemia that he was secretive about or had an overdose.)

Old footage of Johnny himself being interviewed is featured throughout Looking For Johnny and it’s fascinating to see the straight Johnny versus the stoned Johnny, including times he let loose on the audience and waited to see the reaction. (He definitely liked to “stir the pot” and didn’t care if people walked out after politically incorrect stage commentary, LOL!)

No matter how you feel about JT and his music, he is indeed a legend. He is missed in a lot of rock and social circles, and you can easily see how his often-distorted guitar style, messy hair and colorful clothing influenced rockers for years to come. Everyone from Motley Crue to Poison to Green Day seemed to lift his look and guitar stance (at the very least).

I’m really glad that Danny Garcia decided to go “looking for Johnny”—because he was able to “find” him through some of his very fascinating colleagues and friends! If you are an original punk scene aficionado like I am, I also suggest that you check out Garcia’s excellent rock doc The Rise And Fall Of The Clash.

By Anne M. Raso

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/show_review.php?id=1293

Thanks for sharing this excellent critique. I obviously cannot wait to see the film!
Back to top Go down
MJG196
MJG196

Number of posts : 2765
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty21st May 2014, 11:37 pm

TeddyB1018 wrote:
Gee, sounds like we're getting the old "anyone can be replaced" speech from DJ as the reason the Dolls broke up.  I guess it had nothing to do with drugs, lack of sales, losing their business managers, Jerry and JT needing to score. Nope, they were doing great until David opened his imperious mouth.  Syl has gone back and forth announcing his complaints since the Dolls appear to have dissolved for the second time. Jerry and Johnny did the right thing the first time -- they did their own thing.

Teddy, that was not mentioned as the sole reason. All of the things you bring up were discussed, and Syl wasn't the only one talking about 'em. Peter Jordan was one of several people to talk about those dying days.

That "anyone can be replaced" story has been told by several people - including Johnny and Arthur.

As for Syl's "complaints," I don't see them as such. He is asked questions and gives answers.
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty21st May 2014, 11:48 pm

Thanks Michael. I wasn't saying that the fight didn't happen. Of course it did. And it's cool that Peter is interviewed too. I have a chip on my shoulder about the way Danny Garcia hustled his way into funding a Clash documentary with Sony DVD release by using Robin Crocker to manipulate my friend Mick Jones into participating under the misconception that it was a film about the post-Mick Clash, which it only halfway is. Now he's moved on to another of my favorite musical acts and made a documentary without DJ agreeing to participate, just as Paul Simonon refused to take part in the last one. Next, he's talking about doing Sid! Syl is asked questions and answers but his tune changes whether or not DJ is agreeing to work with him. I like Syl and think he's a good guy and as good a songwriter as Johnny, but the stuff he said about the reunion Dolls was whiny and inappropriate in my opinion. Hope the Johnny film is good!
Back to top Go down
MJG196
MJG196

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty22nd May 2014, 12:43 am

TeddyB1018 wrote:
Thanks Michael.  I wasn't saying that the fight didn't happen.  Of course it did.  And it's cool that Peter is interviewed too.  I have a chip on my shoulder about the way Danny Garcia hustled his way into funding a Clash documentary with Sony DVD release by using Robin Crocker to manipulate my friend Mick Jones into participating under the misconception that it was a film about the post-Mick Clash, which it only halfway is.  Now he's moved on to another of my favorite musical acts and made a documentary without DJ agreeing to participate, just as Paul Simonon refused to take part in the last one.  Next, he's talking about doing Sid!  Syl is asked questions and answers but his tune changes whether or not DJ is agreeing to work with him.  I like Syl and think he's a good guy and as good a songwriter as Johnny, but the stuff he said about the reunion Dolls was whiny and inappropriate in my opinion.  Hope the Johnny film is good!

I actually just saw the Clash film on PooTube - the whole thing is up there for those of you that haven't seen it - and Mick comes off really well.

DJ hardly does any interviews about the Dolls anymore unless he has something to promote. Richard Hell I am sure was contacted, but he doesn't do these anymore, either. [Come to think of it, none of those famous black-and-white silent videos of the Hell-era Heartbreakers were in the movie, so Hell probably didn't license them to Garcia] Some people just want to move on and don't want to answer the same questions over and over and over...for 40 years...so I can't blame them. I guess that filmakers are kinda stuck when important players won't play...but there were enough other people in there that we never hear from: Peter Jordan, Marty Thau, Alison Gordy, Leee, Jill Wisoff, Henri Paul (who I could barely understand!), Kim Montenegro...

Personally, I didn't think the film needed DJ with all of those other folks participating.
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty22nd May 2014, 1:26 am

I know Mick comes off well. That had to make sure because they wanted sync licenses for Clash songs, for which they got about half. Danny had a lot more trouble with that for the JT film. Ninety minutes on why the Clash broke up is seventy-five minutes too long and depressing. Having access to Clash friends and insiders actually made the post-Mick era sound worse than it was!

DJ definitely has a philosophical avoidance of filming a Dolls retrospective interview for someone's idea of a film. It was certainly not a comment on JT one way or the other.

Anyway, I haven't yet seen Danny's film on John so it's silly for me to be commenting. I hope it does him justice. The Dolls were one of the great rock and roll bands, I love the Heartbreakers and the best of John's solo material and the best of all David's work through the years.
Back to top Go down
flofleming

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty22nd May 2014, 2:25 am

To say Johnny was "secretive" about the leukemia - there is no real evidence that he even knew he had it. Apparently, it can come on quickly, and Johnny refused to go to hospital when Jerry tried to get him to near the end. The story that he knew about it years in advance was spun by his ex-girlfriend in the same magazine in which this film review appears. At least, it was also called Classic Rock magazine, a 2011 issue with Roger Waters on the cover.
Back to top Go down
sir doug

sir doug

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty22nd May 2014, 12:21 pm

according to 2 people I have talked to who have played with JT, he knew he had leukemia.

Richard hell probably wanted Money to b apart of the Movie, I tried to get him to write a foreword to one of my books, he wanted 1dollar a Word with a minimum of 500 Words.
Back to top Go down
flofleming

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty22nd May 2014, 5:00 pm

sir doug wrote:
according to 2 people I have talked to who have played with JT, he knew he had leukemia.

Richard hell probably wanted Money to b apart of the Movie, I tried to get him to write a foreword to one of my books, he wanted 1dollar a Word with a minimum of 500 Words.

Did these two people hear it from Johnny, or from the ex-girlfriend?
Back to top Go down
sir doug

sir doug

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty22nd May 2014, 5:42 pm

from johnny, their words, dont know if its true, I wasnt there :-)
Back to top Go down
Razorback
Admin
Razorback

Number of posts : 1880
Registration date : 2007-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty22nd May 2014, 6:08 pm

sir doug wrote:

The director Danny Garcia met him at a launch party for his book, Richard Hell has been fine with him but refused to talk about the Heartbreakers. No money affair from what I saw in Director's comments.
Back to top Go down
https://chatterbox.canadaboard.net
flofleming

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty22nd May 2014, 6:30 pm

sir doug wrote:
from johnny, their words, dont know if its true, I wasnt there :-)

Well, thanks. Just curious, as it seemed suspect when the ex put it out there, and it would have had a major impact on Johnny's life perspective if he knew about it. Odd that he never told Nolan, though, and Phyllis Stein attests to that.
Back to top Go down
alan

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty22nd May 2014, 8:38 pm

I find it really hard to believe that Johnny T knew about his leukemia, - I don't think he did. I find it hard to believe that any cancer patient would keep on touring when they need to stay in a hospital for treatment. Leukemia is the worst kind of cancer there is. - Unless they are planing to commit suicide. I'm sure doctors would have told him to stay in a hospital and not to go anywhere. He needed serious treatment and not to go on any japan tour or recording sessions. Doctors would of said no to any plans of goin' to New Orleans. Had he known, he would've stayed in a hospital for sure.  ...considering the fact that he was trying to get his life in order by going into drug rehab. So why go to rehab if your plan is to refuse cancer treatment and die of cancer..makes no sense...He wouldn't have done that final tour. - I think he just didn't know about it. The fact that he went to drug rehab and was trying to help himself - but didn't get any cancer treatment is a proof, that he didn't know about his Leukemia.

I think Richard Hell is sick of talkin about the old times - that's one of the reasons why he wrote the recent book about his own life, to have his final word and get over it, and just move on. And wont be bothered to deal with the past anymore. I think David Johansen is workin on a movie and didn't really have the time to be in this documentary. My understanding is the filming schedule became a problem for him.

The only one who really hated the idea of this documentary and told everyone to fuck off is Handsome Dick Manitoba from The Dictators,  He's the only one with anger management issues when it comes to this movie, cause he's been posting some angry shite about Johnny on his facebook site. He didn't wanna talk to film makers and didn't wanna take any part in the movie. He's made it really clear that he hates Johnny Thunders, and wasn't very fond of the film makers either...

Back to top Go down
flofleming

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty22nd May 2014, 9:56 pm

I agree, Alan. You're making very good points. Why go to rehab? Cancer patients are usually given the best opiates, so just as a drug addict you would think he'd take advantage of that. I don't think he knew, either. It sounded false when I first read the article where the ex spins the story that he only left her because he knew he was dying. I guess that sounds better to her than, "Johnny got bored and left me" or whatever actually happened.
Back to top Go down
sir doug

sir doug

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty22nd May 2014, 10:40 pm

speculations, but many junkies dont want to ho to a hospital necause of how they are looked upon there, if jt didn't know he had leukemia, he probably knew he was sick, you feel your own body, and so he self medicated. my two cents
Back to top Go down
flofleming

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty23rd May 2014, 12:46 am

sir doug wrote:
speculations, but many junkies dont want to ho to a hospital necause of how they are looked upon there, if jt didn't know he had leukemia, he probably knew he was sick, you feel your own body, and so he self medicated. my two cents

Yeah, I'm sure he felt like hell. He may have just thought it was 20 years of drug addiction catching up with him. Some addicts just turn yellow and croak because their kidneys and liver shut down. Sad end, but he gave us a lot and he's missed.
Back to top Go down
tigerrobert

Number of posts : 285

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty23rd May 2014, 10:01 am

I bought my tickets for Bio Rio 7+8 June yesterday!

120 spänn!
Back to top Go down
http://eiitps.wordpress.com/
flofleming

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty23rd May 2014, 3:46 pm

sir doug wrote:
does anyone know if susanne and jamie are interviewed for the movie?

or Dino or vito?

I don't think so. I know that Susanne in particular declined to be interviewed.
Back to top Go down
dostillio

dostillio

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty23rd May 2014, 5:05 pm

I haven't seen the movie yet. How did he know he had leukemia? Who or when was he diagnosed? In rehab maybe? With his long years of drug abuse it could have been a number of things. Hepatitis, endocarditis or even HIV. I'm sure he shared many needles over the years.

I think if he did know he was so sick I think he would have gone on tour maybe thinking it was a last hurrah. He never had much money and health insurance and cancer treatment is very expensive. I really do want to see the movie, I couldn't make it to the showing in NYC. I have a 7 month old boy and don't get out much lately.

Was there much talk about Jerry Nolan? If so how did he come off? I like him a lot and I think he gets blamed for a lot of problems with the Dolls. They may be warranted, I'm not sure.

I'll ask Handsome Dick what his problem is next time I go to his bar, although I haven't been there since the baby. HA! I named my son Mick after Mick Ronson. I'll bring him down to Manitoba's bar. His wife bartends there too and she's really nice.
Back to top Go down
MJG196
MJG196

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty23rd May 2014, 11:33 pm

dostillio wrote:
I haven't seen the movie yet. How did he know he had leukemia? Who or when was he diagnosed? In rehab maybe? With his long years of drug abuse it could have been a number of things. Hepatitis, endocarditis or even HIV. I'm sure he shared many needles over the years.

I think if he did know he was so sick I think he would have gone on tour maybe thinking it was a last hurrah. He never had much money and health insurance and cancer treatment is very expensive. I really do want to see the movie, I couldn't make it to the showing in NYC. I have a 7 month old boy and don't get out much lately.

Was there much talk about Jerry Nolan? If so how did he come off? I like him a lot and I think he gets blamed for a lot of problems with the Dolls. They may be warranted, I'm not sure.

I'll ask Handsome Dick what his problem is next time I go to his bar, although I haven't been there since the baby. HA! I named my son Mick after Mick Ronson. I'll bring him down to Manitoba's bar. His wife bartends there too and she's really nice.

Jerry of course gets a lot of coverage. I would like to say that nobody comes off looking "bad," and nobody is individually blamed for the bands falling apart. Also, no interviewee acts like they have an axe to grind. They all talk about the drugs and addiction and its affects on the bands as a matter of fact - not "He ruined the band" type of stuff.

I can't recall who talked about the leukemia (it may have been Jerry's ex - the one w/ a FB page), but she recognized the symptoms.
Back to top Go down
flofleming

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty24th May 2014, 1:37 am

dostillio wrote:

I heard Manitoba softening up somewhat on the Johnny issue on his radio program. This was after Phyllis Stein had an angry thread on her Facebook page about some comments he'd made about Johnny and also Phyllis and someone else associated with the film. Dick said he didn't personally like Johnny, but he recognizes that many people loved and admired him and Dick wanted people who had seen the new film to call in and give their opinions. His only real criticism of Johnny seemed to be the typical junkie behavior of petty money crimes to afford the dope, i.e. stealing from friends, not paying the band, etc., but we all knew about that so no surprise.

Phyllis Stein said she's seen the autopsy report, and it says that Johnny died from acute leukemia. The question of when or if he knew he had it is up in the air - Phyllis & Jerry said no - the Swedish contingent, namely his ex-girlfriend claims that he found out a few years before his death, but there is nothing to support that claim. There is an issue of Classic Rock magazine for sale on Ebay with Roger Waters on the cover in which the ex-girlfriend is quoted at length implying that Johnny only left her because he knew he was dying. Sounds vain and self-serving to me, so I doubt it's true. You can come to your own conclusions, but I agree with Alan that it seems unlikely he would go through rehab when dying cancer patients are put on opiates until they pass. Plus, why would he and Mick Webster trudge all over Thailand looking for heroin in Johnny's last days if he had a cancer doctor who could have just called a Thai hospital and told them to give him a bottle of morphine. It just doesn't make sense. Plus, the ex-girlfriend has a tendency toward narcissism if you check out her FB page. Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
MJG196
MJG196

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty24th May 2014, 2:38 am

Hey flofleming, the autopsy report appears in the movie. Although I obviously can't remember what it said word for word, everything on it was certainly based on observation, rather than tests. I highly doubt they had the time or money to run biopsies. Bottom line is nobody is ever going to know for sure.

On another note, Phyllis appears to be a piece of work - I certainly take everything she says with a grain of salt, too.
Back to top Go down
flofleming

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty24th May 2014, 3:33 am

MJG196 wrote:
Hey flofleming, the autopsy report appears in the movie.  Although I obviously can't remember what it said word for word, everything on it was certainly based on observation, rather than tests.  I highly doubt they had the time or money to run biopsies.  Bottom line is nobody is ever going to know for sure.

On another note, Phyllis appears to be a piece of work - I certainly take everything she says with a grain of salt, too.

OK, point taken. I haven't had a chance to see the film yet.
Back to top Go down
alan

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty24th May 2014, 5:24 pm

....it's nice too see this forum more active.

I'm really happy that Johnny is finally back in the news. I haven't seen the doc yet, but really happy about it. Every review has been really good so far.  I guess finally there's chance for everyone to see a decent doc about our hero. There was a long time when I didn't really listen to Johnny's music, - I kinda got bored and sick of hearing the same old songs over and over,  but in last few weeks my dusty and scratchy old Johnny Thunders records have been back spinnin' on my turntable.  - and man, they sound good again.

Last edited by alan on 24th May 2014, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stiv

stiv

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty24th May 2014, 7:30 pm

Last edited by stiv on 24th May 2014, 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia   Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking For Johnny - A movie by Danny Garcia
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next